How to Avoid the Risks of Severe Asthma | Asthma Treatment | Dr. Nishtha Singh
How to Avoid the Risks of Severe Asthma: People who have cough or shortness of breath despite taking regular medicines, their asthma is called severe asthma. In severe asthma, it is often not necessary to have severe shortness of breath, but even mild symptoms are suggestive of increased narrowing of the airways despite regular medication.
How to Avoid the Risks of Severe Asthma | Asthma Treatment | Causes of severe asthma
About 300 million people in the world and 40 million people in India have asthma, out of which about 5 to 10% people have severe asthma. If treatment is not taken in such conditions, there is a possibility of complications of asthma. Permanent narrowing of the airways of such patients occurs in the course of time, they require oral corticosteroids.
How do I know if I have severe asthma?
Despite taking regular steroid inhalers and asthma, if the following symptoms are present, then we may have severe asthma.
- Cough after a brisk walk
- Shortness of breath from routine work
- Nighttime cough or breathlessness more than twice a month
- Requires inhaler medication in addition to regular medication more than twice a week
What are the causes of severe asthma?
- The most important reason is to be in constant contact with the allergen. About 75% of asthma patients are allergic to something or the other. These allergies become the trigger of asthma.
- It has been seen that the disease of asthma becomes serious due to tobacco, smoking.
- Environmental pollution also increases the severity of asthma
- According to ACAAI research, severe asthma is seen more in obese people.
- Diseases associated with asthma such as rhinitis, OSA, acidity and food allergies also increase the severity of asthma.
What to do so that severe asthma does not increase?
- Consult your doctor regularly.
- Avoid factors that aggravate asthma such as dust, smoke, pollen.
- Use the latest methods of treatment with the advice of a doctor
What treatment Should We Take?
Take regular medication from your doctor or Pulmonologist. Use the inhaler properly. Do your best to avoid causes that may aggravate asthma. Get proper treatment for diseases that accompany asthma.
Two of the latest treatment methods have been found useful in the treatment of severe asthma.
- Mepolizumab, Dupilumab, etc. have been found to be effective in severe allergic asthma.
- Thermoplasty has been shown to be very useful in nonallergic severe asthma. In thermoplasty, a special instrument is inserted into the island wedge breathing tubes. Due to this the breathing tubes dilate and the contraction ends. Thermoplasty is given three times.