What is Throat Cancer? Symptoms | Causes | Treatment
What is Throat Cancer? Cancer of the throat or voice box is referred to as throat (pharynx) cancer. Behind your nose, your throat is a muscular tube that ends at the base of your neck. Cancer of the throat most often begins in flat cells lining the inside of your throat. Just below your throat is your voice box, which is also susceptible to throat cancer. When you speak, your vocal cords vibrate and create sound in your voice box. Mutations in the DNA of your throat cells cause throat cancer. These mutations lead to uncontrolled cell growth that continues to live after healthy cells would usually die.
As a result, a tumor forms in the throat. Mutations that cause throat cancer are not well understood. Some factors, however, have been identified that may increase the risk. Thus, in this article, we discussed what is Throat Cancer? Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment provided by Dr. Nishtha Singh.
What is Throat Cancer? | Various Types of Throat Cancer- Dr. Nishtha Singh
Pharyngeal cancer and laryngeal cancer are both types of cancer that develop in the throat and voice box, respectively. The part of the throat that cancer originated from may differ, even if most throat cancers involve the same types of cells.
- Cancers of your nose and throat start in the nasopharynx – the part of your throat behind your nose.
- Cancer of the oropharynx begins right behind your mouth, in the area that includes your tonsils.
- Laryngopharyngeal (hypopharyngeal) cancer occurs in the lower part of your throat, just above your esophagus and windpipe.
- Vocal cord cancer starts in the throat.
- In supraglottic cancer, the epiglottis, a piece of cartilage that keeps food from passing into your windpipe, is affected.
- Under your vocal cords, in the lower portion of your voice box, lies subglottic cancer.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Throat Cancer or Laryngeal Cancer?
So, throat cancer may present with the following signs and symptoms:
- Voice changes, such as hoarseness or difficulty communicating
- Swallowing problems
- Pain in the ear
- An unhealed lump or sore
- Sore throat
- Loss of weight
Seeing a doctor when necessary | Throat Allergy Expert in Jaipur
When you notice persistent new symptoms, make an appointment with Best Pulmonologist in Jaipur and get more information about What is Throat Cancer? The doctors will likely supervise other causes of your throat cancer symptoms rather than analyze cancer.
Factors of Risk
Cancer of the throat is caused by a variety of factors. So, the risk factor are:
- Chewing tobacco and smoking are forms of tobacco use
- Alcoholism excessive
- Human papillomavirus (HPV) and Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) are examples of viral infections
- Vegetables and fruits are not enough in a diet
- Gastroparesis (GERD)
- Toxic substances in the workplace
Avoidance or Preventions
The prevention of throat cancer is not proven. However, there are several steps you can take to lower your risk:
- Don’t smoke or stop smoking. Quit smoking if you do. Do not start smoking if you do not. Moreover, get some help if you need it to stop smoking. There are many ways to stop smoking, including medication, nicotine replacement products, and counseling. Furthermore, discuss the benefits and risks with your doctor.
- When it comes to alcohol, drink it moderately. Moderate consumption of alcohol is recommend. Also, Women can drink up to one drink a day, and men can drink up to two in a day in good health.
- Make sure you eat fruit and vegetables in your diet. Fruits and vegetables contain vitamins and antioxidants that may reduce the risk of throat cancer. Furthermore, choose a variety of brightly colored fruits and vegetables.
- Make sure you are protect from HPV. Human papillomavirus (HPV) may be responsible for some throat cancers. By determining the number of sexual partners you have and wearing a condom every time you have sex, you can reduce your risk of HPV. Also, consider the HPV vaccine as a way to prevent throat cancer and other HPV-related cancers.
Hence, stressed about how to get relief from this severe disease? So, don’t worry now. The Chest and Lung specialist Dr. Nishtha Singh is here to help you and provide you the best information about What is Throat Cancer with the best treatment. Make an Appointment with Dr. Nishtha Singh or call us for more information (+91) 946 1685 766